Switched to SSE Today

Create your own post detailing your experience of joining SSE from start to finish. Use it as a journal to detail when your ordered, when you received communications, connection dates and more!
maui
Switched to SSE Today

Post by maui » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:55 am

Hi All,

After being begged to post over here ;) I've joined up to share my experience and offer some technical assistance.

Ordered ultrafast 76Mb broadband on 15th May. From there I had pretty much 1 E-Mail, and letter - then nothing for 2 weeks, apart from an E-Mail from BT to report that I was switching on 22nd June!

After 2 weeks, my order progressed and I received the Technicolor router through the post. Again nothing after that until a week before switch, I had both a letter and text from SSE to state my switch date is the 22nd June (which I already knew from BT :))...

I did call into SSE yesterday (they had a queue in excess of 1 hour so I did the call back service), to double check that an engineer would be visiting, as I do not have a BT Openreach filter socket - just the standard master socket, and DSL filters. They confirmed yes, and if they don't show to let them know as they pay for that service. Whilst on the phone - I also checked what my minimum guaranteed speed is. They reported back it should be 67mbps. That ties exactly to what the BT wholesale checker reports:

For me the switch happened overnight, so I woke in the morning to find no Internet. I won't even entertain plugging in the Technicolor router - I have my own VDSL modem (TP-Link VR900) which has worked just perfect on Sky, BT, and now SSE. So it was a case of digging out the 'Internet security' A5 piece of paper from the SSE router box, and typing the credentials on here into my router - and off I go! I saw the new speed as soon as I logged into my router:

I was on BT Infinity 1 previously, and did always get a solid 40mbps speed, and have seen speeds of 32mbps / 4.0MB/s downloads so know that I can push my line just fine. Doing some testmy.net speed tests shows I am getting a very good speed:

Not done too much yet, other than some speed tests, worked on my Virtual Desktop across VPN, streamed a 4K YouTube video without any lag / stutter.
My latest speedtest Results:

lugsy3

Re: Switched to SSE Today

Post by lugsy3 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:45 pm

Try streaming the 4k youtube tonight about 9pm will be interested to see how you get on. I tried last night bf1 @4k Jack fraggs video, absolutely no chance last night. This morning no problem whatsoever.

maui

Re: Switched to SSE Today

Post by maui » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:50 pm

lugsy3 wrote:Try streaming the 4k youtube tonight about 9pm will be interested to see how you get on. I tried last night bf1 @4k Jack fraggs video, absolutely no chance last night. This morning no problem whatsoever.
Will do, I tried just to get on YouTube just a few minutes ago and got treated to a 500 error! I guess they have issues, looks like it's trending on twitter too so know it's not just SSE
My latest speedtest Results: