Setup on the 10th

Create your own post detailing your experience of joining SSE from start to finish. Use it as a journal to detail when your ordered, when you received communications, connection dates and more!
pauldip
Setup on the 10th

Post by pauldip » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:52 pm

Too early, but so far so good.

I had a bit of a panic on the Morning of the setup as I was returning to work after a lengthy spell off sick, working from home. When I tried to connect with my BT equipment, no connection. So got my friend's son to set up the router, and it was up and running. The bad part is the engineer never turned up, wouldn't have minded if they had called me, just very inconvenient. I couldn't get any wireless devices connected at first, but after about 3-4 hours on Saturday I managed to get my android phone connected.

Now, connecting over vpn worked with no issues, stable the entire day. I did various speed tests, and the speed is a little slower than what I was getting from BT Infinity 1 I was on (35mb/s compared to 38mb/s). Upload speed was lousy, but I have had problems with that with BT from time to time, so am fairly convinced this is not an issue with SSE.

The acid test I find is with youtube, had always been a problem for me on 1080p from my pc (when I used to be with Virgin the speed was slower, but 1080p on you tube was rock steady on exactly same hardware). So it played, but had stuttering and drop outs; it was a bit worse than I had experienced on BT.

Oddly, I have a recent Sony 4k TV running android. Now on BT, streaming 4k videos, was very stable. Tried again on 10th, and yes stable most of the time, I did get the odd stutter and dropout.

Moving on to Saturday, and repeated tests again. The speed tests returned same results, but the needle went quickly up to the max speed, and kept high. Wheras on Friday it had been a bit shaky. Repeated my 1080p youtube from my pc, and it was not perfect, but more stable than I had experience with BT

Move on to Today, I have heard about traffic management, and expected I would need to buy a vpn. I am an occaisional torrent user, most of the time my connection is fairly idle, but it was nice having the high speeds to quickly download stuff. I thought I would give it a try without vpn to see how I got on. One very nice discovery, is that main torrent sites are not blocked. I started a small download (350mb), and initial results were not good. Started at really poor speeds (20kb/s) [yes kb per second]. Waited for it to stabilise, and speed slowly increased.

Within about 20 minutes speeds were typically what I had experienced from BT, maybe a little slower. Just as I have typed this have noticed my speed has fallen off a cliff. Going to need to monitor further, it seemed speed dropped after approx 18gb.

To sum up,

Good points:
- Speed a little slower than BT, but fine for my use
- Torrents seem to be ok (Traffic management might kick in at some point)
- Download sites are unblocked
- Router seems to be very fast and capable

Bad points:
- I was expecting faster speeds than BT as I was on the slower package, and know the capability in my area is a little higher.
- Engineer did not arrive, or had any phone call to say they were not coming
- Could not get my wireless devices to work at start (configuration issue)
- Login details for the Router were not provided (someone kindly helped me on hotukdeals)
- Documentation with the router, was too little; I don't expect a hefty user guide, but thought the BT documentation was far better
- I'm not a fan on the physical design of the router, it is larger than BT's. It gets quite warm with ventilation holes on side and top, so you can't stack anything on it.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Setup on the 10th

Post by admin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi pauldip,

Thanks very much for joining the site and posting your experience so far with SSE.

I've read through your post and I have to agree overall you sound to be having quite a good experience.

If you could keep us updated how you get on, and anything else you come across it would be appreciated.

Thanks
James