- Posts: 1
- Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:22 pm
Getting very frustrated waiting for a go live date from SSE. Signed up on 28th May, and got an initial go live date of 27th June.
By the 25th I hadn't received the router so I phoned SSE to be told BT had refused the handover request from SSE, and they'd had to put in another. My existing phone and broadband with BT carried on as usual past the 27th (although I had a very peculiar slow broadband night on the 29th which I thought might by something to do with it).
Still waiting now for a new go live date. I will be pissed if the cancellation affects my topcashback.