Upgrading from ADSL to Fibre steps

Discussions and information after you have ordered your services from SSE
j1mgg
Upgrading from ADSL to Fibre steps

Post by j1mgg » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:03 am

Hi,

I just ordered SSE fibre yesterday, and thought it would be good for someone to list the process of moving from standard ADSL to a Fibre connection, I am not really sure what needs to happen as openreach have just confirmed in the past 4 weeks that we can now get fibre.

Is there install, engineer required etc

admin
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading from ADSL to Fibre steps

Post by admin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:14 am

Hi j1mgg,

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I upgraded from ADSL to FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) around 2 years ago when I was with TalkTalk and the procedure was something like this.

1) Ordered the FTTC service from the ISP.
2) They contacted me with a date for connection and booked in an Openreach engineer to visit my property.
3) The Openreach engineer did some work at the exchange and the street cabinet to move me over to the fibre service, and then had to visit my property to replace the faceplate on the phone socket to one with two connections - The top connection for the internet and the bottom for the regular phone. (This means you no longer need to use microfilters).

You will get a face plate similar to this one fitted:
faceplate.jpg
4) That was it!

It does involve some downtime whilst you are being moved over from the old system to the new one (as they have to physically do some jumper/cabling work to get you moved over.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Admin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

j1mgg

Post by j1mgg » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks, I am going to guess i will have to change my setup as at the moment i have two faceplates in the property; and I think the one i use is not the masterplate although i have seen no speed difference when using either socket.

happyman

Post by happyman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:37 am

If you are moving from ADSL to fibre I'm sure the openreach engineer will sort the sockets out for you when they come - I believe that is all part of the install process.