SSE throttling video services until 6pm every day?

Discuss anything else related to SSE Broadband
AlexanderF1
SSE throttling video services until 6pm every day?

Post by AlexanderF1 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:44 am

been with sse for a few years now and up until early last year i had no issues. But since then youtube,iplayer and all 4 videos have been throttled to 300kbps bandwidth usage max from about 10am to 6pm every day(youtube has connection stats which show this). My download speed during the day is 6mbps and At 4pm every day the download speed gets halved to 3mbps until 11pm. How can sse get away with this there is nothing specific in the traffic management policy about throttling(see bellow). A law should be brought in that prevents isps from unfairly managing traffic. And if i phone them up they will say we don't throttle this or that which is clearly nonsense.

Our network operator undertakes traffic management to ensure that our customers
receive optimum performance at all times.
The principles of this network management policy are:
• to make sure that time-critical applications like Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) are
always prioritised;
• to protect interactive applications like web-browsing and Virtual Private Network (VPN)
from non-time sensitive download traffic;
• to flex the network under demand to cope with normal peaks and troughs from
day to day and month to month;
to flex the network in the event of unusual demands in traffic or disaster situations
such as a network failure;
• to provide a ‘quality of service’ effect, meaning multiple applications running on
the same line interact with each other effectively; and use of high demand protocols
like Peer-to-Peer (P2P) do not swamp time-sensitive traffic such as online gaming or
a VoIP call.
Traffic types are identified in real-time based on a combination of port, source Internet
Protocol (IP) address and Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) signature detection. This allows
our network operator at any given time to manage the network capacity and prioritise time
sensitive traffic by reducing the throughput of the other less time sensitive protocols.