Router keeps disconnecting for long periods of time

For those SSE Broadband customers experiencing technical issues and require assistance
rufnek2kx
Router keeps disconnecting for long periods of time

Post by rufnek2kx » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:54 am

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here can help me. My connection went live on 15/06 last week. The openreach engineer came to test the line and said everything was fine and I should receive speeds of up to 60mb. I had previously been with BT Infinity so wasn't expecting any problems anyway but this was good to know. I set the TG589VAC router up as required, but since then, the connection keeps coming and going during the day. It'll be on for approx 3-4 hours in the day but the rest of the time, there will be a red 'Status' light on the router and no connection. When I log in to Admin mode, it says 'Broadband: Connected. Internet: Connecting', but nothing seems to happen. I've reset and restarted the router as well as changed the telephone wire to no avail.

Called up SSE 4 times and each time they say an engineer will get back to me but I've not had a call back at all from them so far. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edit: I should add, I have not tried another router as the only other I have is a BT HH5 which won't allow me to change connection settings.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Router keeps disconnecting for long periods of time

Post by admin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:42 am

It could just be a faulty router.

It is apparently possible to use your BT Home Hub 5 with another ISP although I've never tried it before.

See:
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks ... nother-isp

Please reply back to let us know how you get on.

Hope this helps

rufnek2kx

Post by rufnek2kx » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Cheers for the link. If I've understood that correctly, it seems like it can be set up as a router, but not as a modem (that would still be the Thompson). Is that correct? Within the HH5 settings I physically cannot change the username and password from the old BT login details to the SSE details. I read somewhere that it is possible to change the firmware to OpenWRT after a bit of jiggery pokery with the HH5 so I may try that at some point just out of interest.

Finally got a call back from Technical Support who will be phoning me again once I am home to make sure I've plugged all the wires in correctly before they escalate it. :evil:

The wait continues.....

lorien

Post by lorien » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:45 am

rufnek2kx wrote:Cheers for the link. If I've understood that correctly, it seems like it can be set up as a router, but not as a modem (that would still be the Thompson). Is that correct? ....
'Fraid not. It can be used as a Wireless Access Point, but cannot be used as a modem or router on ISPs other than BT Retail or Plusnet

rufnek2kx

Post by rufnek2kx » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:12 am

Well, back to square 1 again. Actually no, it's gone worse than it initially was.

After over a week of intermittent connection, the router seemed to work fine for around 2 weeks. Speeds varied depending on time of day, but at least there was a connection. Then last Wednesday, the same problem reoccurred and there has been about 30 minutes of internet since then. So frustrating.

I've called them up and gone through all the troubleshooting tips (i.e. make sure everything is plugged in properly and turn it off and on again). The router doesn't reset when the reset button is pressed. Asked for a replacement router as that is the only thing that hasn't been changed, but they insisted on sending around an engineer first to test the line (again) after which they will replace the router if required. I'd have thought it's cheaper to try the router first buy hey ho.

rufnek2kx

Post by rufnek2kx » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:21 am

Update: New router arrived. Still having the same issue.

Calling them up seems to be an issue now too. I was on hold for over half an hour yesterday before giving up, and currently have been on hold for 20 mins or so. Anyone else having an issue with calling them?

brandonsbillingham

Post by brandonsbillingham » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Sounds like a line fault, this happened when I first joined Plusnet. Needed an engineer to come and fix (took them 5 attempts) hopefully it won't take that many visits to progress yours.

I've had issues with calling but often get invited to a queue. Some say the 0800 number is answered quicker.

Marksfish

Post by Marksfish » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:35 pm

Do you have a Openreach faceplate or do you use a filter? SSE have sent me a new router and a filter (for congestion issues) as I have had to take my filtered faceplate off and plug directly into the test socket. Have they asked you to do this yet? It may be worth a try if you have a spare filter (didn't realise they worked on fibre) as you are plugging directly into the end of your line. It bypasses any extensions that may be causing an issue, so any extra phones won't work while plugged into the test socket.

Mark

lorien

Post by lorien » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:03 pm

Have you done a "Quiet Line Test" ? (17070) when it drops out ?

rufnek2kx

Post by rufnek2kx » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Marksfish wrote:Do you have a Openreach faceplate or do you use a filter? SSE have sent me a new router and a filter (for congestion issues) as I have had to take my filtered faceplate off and plug directly into the test socket. Have they asked you to do this yet? It may be worth a try if you have a spare filter (didn't realise they worked on fibre) as you are plugging directly into the end of your line. It bypasses any extensions that may be causing an issue, so any extra phones won't work while plugged into the test socket.

Mark
An engineer came around last week and installed a Mk3 phone socket. Issue still seems to reside even when connected to the test socket (with a microfilter).

Its been off all evening and only just started working (for who knows how long). If I log in to Admin mode and view the log viewer, I see the following recurring message:

Date: Jul 21 21:41 (there's an entry every 2 mins)
Facility: Daemon.err
Process: odhcp6c[5531]
Message: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Operation not permitted)

Does this mean anything?

Here's when I suspect it reconnected to the internet as at all other times prior to this, it was the message above only:
Jul 21 21:06:38 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[5701] DHCPACK(br-lan) 192.168.1.154 f8:e0:79:c0:ee:6c android-14e920ae3bb581a0
Jul 21 21:06:38 daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[5701] DHCPREQUEST(br-lan) 192.168.1.154 f8:e0:79:c0:ee:6c
Jul 21 21:06:38 daemon.info hostapd Added new STA to monitor [f8:e0:79:c0:ee:6c]

I was on hold with SSE for over an hour and was told Tech Support is too busy and they would call me back tonight :evil: Clearly didn't happen.
Last edited by rufnek2kx on Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.