Router keeps disconnecting for long periods of time

For those SSE Broadband customers experiencing technical issues and require assistance
rufnek2kx
Re: Router keeps disconnecting for long periods of time

Post by rufnek2kx » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:47 pm

lorien wrote:Have you done a "Quiet Line Test" ? (17070) when it drops out ?
Not come across this one before, but now that Ive read up on it, Ill give it a shot when it next goes down.

lorien

Post by lorien » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:44 am

I would do a Quiet Line Test when everything is running ok as well, as a reference point.
It should be almost totally quiet.
Then do it again when things start to play up and see if you can hear an audible difference.
This might (if you are lucky) show a difference and possibly highlight a true intermittant line fault that is upsetting your modem(s) ...
Last edited by lorien on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

rufnek2kx

Post by rufnek2kx » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:33 am

lorien wrote:I would do a Quiet Line Test wehn everything is running ok as well, as a reference point.
It should be almost totally quiet.
Then do it again when things start to play up and see if you can hear an audible difference.
This might (if you are lucky) show a difference and possibly highlight a true intermittant line fault that is upsetting your modem(s) ...
Reading your post, I've just done the quiet test (internet working) and there didn't seem to be much noise. There was some low level static but this may just be the handset. Will reperform once the internet (inevitably) goes down again.

Thanks for the advice :)

Marksfish

Post by Marksfish » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:45 pm

rufnek2kx wrote: Its been off all evening and only just started working (for who knows how long). If I log in to Admin mode and view the log viewer, I see the following recurring message:

Date: Jul 21 21:41 (there's an entry every 2 mins)
Facility: Daemon.err
Process: odhcp6c[5531]
Message: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Operation not permitted)
I think everyone gets that. Not sure what it is as Googling doesn't give any real answers.

Mark

lorien

Post by lorien » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:00 pm

SSE(Daisy) don't provide IP Version 6 (aka IPv6)
As such, any attempt to obtain an IPv6 address (the DHCPv6 bit) will fail.
Nothing to worry about.

rufnek2kx

Post by rufnek2kx » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:21 am

By way of update:

Had the engineer out last Thursday and would you know it, after 5 straight days of it not working, it started working hours before he came out.

He ran some tests and had a look a the local exchange. He didn't notice any problems other than a 'small earth issue at the exchange which wouldn't cause the problem anyway'. I nodded my head and pretended to understand what he was talking about :roll: .

Since then, it has been working fine, full speed and without issue, so hopefully problem solved. :)