Speed Estimation - via BT Wholesale Availability Checker

For those SSE Broadband customers experiencing technical issues and require assistance
admin
Site Admin
Speed Estimation - via BT Wholesale Availability Checker

Post by admin » Tue May 31, 2016 2:49 pm

The BT Wholesale Availability Checker shows what speeds should be available on your phone line. It shows both ADSL and FTTC services. It also shows any open orders on your line as well as which cabinet you are connected to.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm

joe pineapples

Re: Speed Estimation - via BT Wholesale Availability Checker

Post by joe pineapples » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:27 am

Strangely, the SSE speed estimate (on their website) for my line only covers the best of my 'impacted' range on the BT checker, 'upto' 22meg. Whereas Bt say 22-32meg (on a clean line).

Good idea on starting this forum btw. I have linked to it over on AVforums for you.
Last edited by joe pineapples on Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Balby exchange (Doncaster) Cab 12

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:29 am

Welcome Joe!

I think they must just use the minimum estimate so people can't complain if there connection is slower than the other range given. By giving you the 22Mbps as the estimate they can get away with it if you are just under I suppose.

Thanks very much for linking - The more people who use it the most useful it will become for everyone.

joe pineapples

Post by joe pineapples » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:31 am

Talk Talk are even more cautious...10-24meg :) (near enough the 'impacted' range by BT). Not that I'd go with them anyway.
Balby exchange (Doncaster) Cab 12

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:41 am

I must say between TalkTalk and BT I would choose TalkTalk any day - Lets see how SSE compares though. The conversations I have had with them over the phone have been good, but have been queries so not sure how good they are for technical issues.

We will have to wait and see how good they actually are and how good the connection is.