Speed Test Results - Maui

Existing SSE Broadband customers can post their speed test results in this forum
maui
Speed Test Results - Maui

Post by maui » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:45 pm

Well that escalated quickly!

Everything running beautiful during the day. Nice speeds, 4K streaming on YouTube (when they were up! lol) then bang on 15:00 - it plummeted.

Have opened a resolver.co.uk complaint case against them, given them all the detail. This was done on a Hard wired 1Gbps link. My own router, and I am not taking the "settling" rubbish as I was previously on fibre.

Will see what happens! But it's not getting any better, and I now get buffering every 5-10 seconds on YouTube 4K videos, and the same file downloaded for the same host suddenly lost 3MB/s lol... :evil:
My latest speedtest Results:

lugsy3

Re: Speed Test Results - Maui

Post by lugsy3 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:05 pm

Certainly not looking good , having same problems. Thanks for the testmynet automatic idea will gather some evidence with that.

maui

Post by maui » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:25 am

Clearly traffic shaping:

the next data reference where it is back up to 70mbps is 23:42. So from 15:00-23:30 you won't be able to use your Internet connection for anything useful such as 4K streaming, downloads etc. That's not what I signed up for a ultrafast package for!

maui

Post by maui » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:29 pm

Looks like it's plummeting before even getting to 3PM today:

Downloading a ISO from same host, full speed at 07:40, but barely 14mbps just now:

Doogie

Post by Doogie » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:16 am

Hi Maui,

if you want more ammo for a complaint, compare downloading the latest ubuntu iso using the the normal download link http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/ ... ture=amd64 (HTTP download) vs. the torrent download of the same file from the same server http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu ... so.torrent.

The HTTP download starts at 2 mb/s and drops down to 500-800 kb/s. The torrent shoots up to 7.2 mb/s and stays there...

All down to traffic shaping from Daisy, nothing to do with line quality or any other excuse they come up with..

Good luck!

maui

Post by maui » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:12 am

I had tried an Ubuntu torrent, however that was worse! I pretty much just went to 800kbps and never improved despite plenty of seeds / connections.

Reached a new low last night at 21:08:

I was away over the weekend and the Auto-Tests had stopped, but I did some when I got back last night, and the results are shocking:

During that time of between 21:00-23:00 it was not actually possible to stream YouTube video at 1080p. It would constantly buffer which in my opinion for any broadband service at all is shocking, let alone an 'ultrafast' service.

Will be calling them today to see why my complaint has not been responded to as yet (5 days now)

maui

Post by maui » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:27 am

So I got a call back from someone who is "Head of CS"

They have offered £30 compensation for the engineer no-show. And as for speed issues - here is what he was informed by the "technical team"

- only been connected 5 days. There is "Confusion" on the exchange whilst the line settles down and this will be resolved after 7 days - so said to call back on Thursday if slowness exists
- Someone close to me is heavily downloading
- The new faceplate (as I am using microfilter atm) will 'dramatically' improve the speed.

I could not be bothered to argue the toss whilst sat at my desk at work, and will just wait until Thursday to call back and escalate from there. I am in IT infrastructure so understand more than the guy I was speaking to did, however my sync speed is at 80mbps, so it is not a line issue, along with already providing that to them.

Will keep plugging at it.

Doogie

Post by Doogie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:05 pm

Phoned them today, and asked why I had not received a call back as promised to discuss my slow line speed.

After a long conversation and a lot of back-talk with SSE's supplier (I assume Daisy), their official answer is that it is a problem with BT.... I now have to document that my downloads are really slow (much slower than the BTW speedtests they rely on) and they will call back on Wednesday...

Zero result...

lugsy3

Post by lugsy3 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:06 am

Not heard anything from my first email about engineer no show and from having 56-60 with BT down to 36mbps with SSE,3.6 mbps when being throttled in the evening, and have now emailed again via the contact form to say this and also I believe there being a problem with my line.When I tried to talk to someone last week via a phone call I was told the complaint is being dealt with and I will receive an answer by Monday, I didn't, hence the second complaint. I have told them I am aware of the 8 weeks resolution before contacting ombudsman but I told them I am gathering evidence, we will see.
I will have to test my sync speed on my line to see if there is a problem , thanks for the info maui.
Edit: How do I check my sync speed, only place I can find info on that is with BT but, obviously I can't use that.

Doogie

Post by Doogie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:27 pm

lugsy3 wrote:Edit: How do I check my sync speed, only place I can find info on that is with BT but, obviously I can't use that.
Go to the home page of your router. It should tell you on the main page:
Sync Speed.JPG
Or go to : http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Plug in your phone number, and it should tell you what speeds your line can handle.
ADSL Checker.JPG
Best of luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.