would anyone reccomned SSE?

Questions related to those who have not yet signed up for the SSE Broadband service and want to ask questions regarding the service before joining.
bigmike20vt
would anyone reccomned SSE?

Post by bigmike20vt » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:16 am

Hi

I just joined here after being linked from AVforums.

I discovered SSE from uswitch. their fibre with phone and anytime calls is 1/3 cheaper than my current package on sky but is only ADSL and if the wife wants to watch any on demand whilst i am gaming, it totally screws up my connection, hence thinking going fibre.

however all these horror stories are really putting me off :(

I am awaiting on a phone call from them to arrange the account and set up today. is there ANYONE who would reccomend them?

I have had bad experiences with talk talk in the past (back in early 2013) , tho it seems they are much improved now. my sky may only be adsl2 but if gives me a solid 1.6 megabytes per second download (so about 13MB by my maths) no matter the time of the day and my pings for gaming are superb

As it stands now i am thinking of saying thanks but no thanks when the lady from SSE phones me back later.

As my line is with sky i cant use the top cash back, however SSE is still from what i can tell cheaper than any other unlimited fibre provider

thanks for any thoughts.

serroco

Re: would anyone reccomned SSE?

Post by serroco » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:18 am

Hi Mike
My experience has been good but I did come from a down load speed of 2meg ASDL as this was the best at the time living in the sticks.Some people have come from high speeds and this being advertised as Ultrafast it should of been compatible but it has not been at all.I now get between 30-50 meg so is good for me.The customer service has been good and ran very smoothly including an Engineer visit to change the box.I also had reservations about joining but did not really have anything to lose as this was a better package than I had and cheaper. :D

bigmike20vt

Post by bigmike20vt » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:54 am

thanks for your reply. I will certainly check back in 18 months however in a moment of decisiveness in a sea of indecision I have just signed up to talk talk.

I know they have had their own issues in the past but they do seem to be sorted for now. SSE is still cheaper however so I will certainly be back in 18 months

thanks again

Mike :)

serroco

Post by serroco » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:44 pm

Good luck
I came from onetel who Talk Talk took over all was good until the hack in November they got Talk Talk web back up and running and just left onetel customers with no web page to check anything so was glad when this offer came up. :D

Marksfish

Post by Marksfish » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:01 pm

In all honesty, I don't think many on here would recommend SSE as their offering is running at the moment. The lure of the cheap package has brought a lot of us here, but currently they can't provide the service during peak hours.

Mark

Doogie

Post by Doogie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:21 pm

Marksfish wrote:but currently they can't provide the service during peak hours.

Mark
With peak hours defined as any time between 08:00hr and 23:00hr...

Scotch_Whisky

Post by Scotch_Whisky » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:17 pm

NO

I'm trying to get out of my contract at the moment but SSE are not accepting that the service is terrible at peak times. "Ultimate Broadband" it most certainly isn't.

fuzed

Post by fuzed » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:48 am

I would have up until I had the terrible peak time service, I'm seeing 1.8mb to 6mb on a 76MB connection. So I've decided that I'm going to move to another supplier as soon as I can.

I've not got anywhere with customer services, as they keep telling me to do speed tests with BT Wholesale, even though they know what the issue is.

Quite a farce really. Keep away.