SSE Superfast Broadband

Create your own post detailing your experience of joining SSE from start to finish. Use it as a journal to detail when your ordered, when you received communications, connection dates and more!
toulouse1712
SSE Superfast Broadband

Post by toulouse1712 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Hello to all,

I've now been with SSE for telephone and Fibre Broadband since around September / October 2015.

Prior to this I had been with Plusnet, but for me their service was not what I considered up to scratch, and when my line appeared to have developed a fault things started to come apart. The offer by SSE seemed a reasonable alternative at the time, and they did keep in touch via snail mail keeping me informed about when everything would happen. In fact, they were a little too verbal with this, as they advised me that I would need an engineer to visit to complete the installation, even though I was switching from an existing FTTC service. Installation day came, but although I had waited in all day for the Openreach engineer, no-one showed up. The service was however functioning quite well. I later negotiated a discount for having wasted a day waiting for the non-existent Openreach engineer, when it wasn't really necessary for me to do so.

I received a Technicolor MediaAccess TG799vn v2, but I had previously been using a Billion 8800NL with my Plusnet service, so I opted to use that instead. As some of you will probably know, the Billion is a modem and router all in one, and therefore saves both on number of mains power sockets and Ethernet cables required. Using this device enables me to monitor and log the line statistics via DSLStats and MyDSLWebStats which is helpful if you think you may have a problem with your line.

Since starting the service with SSE, I have had to contact them once, and found them to be quite helpful, although the agent that I spoke to insisted that they were unable to progress my enquiry unless I was using their supplied equipment and not the Billion 8800NL. My enquiry resulted from some problems I had been having streaming BBC iPlayer programmes during the evening. I decided to check the performance of my line via speedtest.btwholesale.com, which even now seems to indicate that my line is heavily underperforming. I'd be interested to know how others fare with this particular tester. As far as other speed tests go, i.e. TBB, speedtest.net, etc., everything seems to be working correctly and without errors, and on average I seem to get around 37 to 38Mbps down, and a slightly disappointing 4-5Mbps up.

And that, as they say, is that.

Mick