OK - still within the 14 day cancellation period. Should I cancel now?

Discuss anything else related to SSE Broadband
doc
OK - still within the 14 day cancellation period. Should I cancel now?

Post by doc » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:12 pm

Increasingly concerned about the traffic shaping reports coming from people who've recently signed up, and the very widely written T&C which enable SSE to cut back connection speeds for pretty much any reason they choose to use as an excuse.

If this is genuinely unlimited, with genuinely unlimited connection speeds, fine. It's a good deal.

But if the connection speed's really cut back, it makes a mockery of unlimited downloads.

Are there any early adopters with a view on this? Are speeds cut back if you download a couple of GB a day, say, or is the figure higher? Tempted by the offer - but not if it means live TV is effectively unusable.

admin
Site Admin

Re: OK - still within the 14 day cancellation period. Should I cancel now?

Post by admin » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:19 am

Hi doc,

Welcome to the site.

I can understand your concerns as I'm exactly in the same situation and have been wondering whether to cancel or stick it out. I have decided to carry on with the transfer and see how it goes. If you look up any ISP you will see both good and bad reviews. With SSE the complaints appear to be down to the traffic restrictions that appear to be in place for some customers. Whether this is area specific or connection specific it is very hard to tell at this stage as some people are managing downloads (not just speed tests) at really good speeds.

When you signed up you will have been provided with a minimum speed for your connection. If once you are connected your speed is regularly below this speed then I believe you have the right under Ofcom rules to leave your contract without penalty - As long as you give the ISP some time to try and resolve any issues. This is the route I will be taking should I experience any significant problems.

I'm due to be connected myself in the next couple of days so I will be providing full details on my own connection and how it compares to my current BT Infinity 1 connection.

Thanks
Admin

Marksfish

Post by Marksfish » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:55 am

Once connected, you could try to sign up for one of the Thinkbroadband line quality monitors. Very handy for checking to see if any problems are caused by congestion. Dynamic ip's are recorded, but you will have to create a new monitor every time you disconnect if the ip's aren't very sticky.

Mark

happyman

Post by happyman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:34 am

No problems here with speed - been connected a few days and working really well.

Let us know what you decide to do and if there are any checks you want any of us to do.

deanos

Post by deanos » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:32 pm

Marksfish wrote:Once connected, you could try to sign up for one of the Thinkbroadband line quality monitors.
How do i use these ?

Marksfish

Post by Marksfish » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:20 pm

You just go here ( http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html ) and fill in the details (does most of it for you). It will then plot your line and show a graph which can be shared with forum users.

Mark