Router - Should I use my current one of use the new SSE one ?

Discuss anything else related to SSE Broadband
admin
Site Admin
Router - Should I use my current one of use the new SSE one ?

Post by admin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:49 pm

As mentioned in one of my other posts my new router came today for my new SSE connection - See the other post with details and photos, etc -

http://www.discussisp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28

I was very surprised at how large the router is, and wondering whether to stick with the router I currently have or whether this one is going to be any better than the one I currently use.

Although I'm with BT at the moment I never used their Home Hub but instead used the TalkTalk router I previously had - Which is a Huawei 635 router.

Does anyone with any knowledge of these routers know whether I am likely to be missing out at all if I just stick with the TalkTalk one ? - Assuming I can easily obtain the connection details from SSE to get the router working with the connection.

Thanks in advance

ozskins

Re: Router - Should I use my current one of use the new SSE one ?

Post by ozskins » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi Admin

I have recently connected to the SSE Fiber network from Plusnet ADSL and have had few problems. However i followed the SSE advice and plugged in the router that came with the welcome pack (Technicolor TG589vac router). My old router/modem was a TP-Link (TD-8817) ADSL2+Ethernet/USB Modem Router. I had the TP-Link in Bridge mode (Converted the Router modem into a modem) and for a router i used the ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band 3x3 WIrless-N900 Gigabit router. The SSE router has been easy to use with no problems with the initial setup however when i came to customizing the settings on my new router i came into some problems, i couldn't find my admin password or username in any of the documents that came with it. after a quick call to SSE and they said the default username/password was admin admin. the router i have found in short has been customized to be plug and play idiot proof machine. with regard to performance i have found a drop off in wireless range (i live in a Georgian era house with no cavity and thick stone walls) the wireless range has been severely impeded. in terms of speed i have had no problems streaming BBC, YouTube (1080p) and UK-Tv play and have had no issues. your question "Should i use my old router" i would suggest ask the following questions. Is the speed good? is the range good? is my old router actually better? do i need to change? do i know how to fix the router without help from SSE? if it works and their are no problems is it worth the hassle and frustration of changing to a possibly inferior system? I personally will chance to my old RT-N66U router setup to get the range needed in my house, but the most important question is does it work for you?