Router Configuration Check

For those SSE Broadband customers experiencing technical issues and require assistance
shanerama
Router Configuration Check

Post by shanerama » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:48 pm

I have had endless problems with SSE from the outset continuing with constant connection dropouts (fibre). I have learnt not to trust them even right up today. I was meant to have received a new router 2 days ago.. Guess what? Never came. Problem? The person ordering it forgot to add my post code. Error after error. So I decided to check out my technicolor router config.

VDSL - yes
Username/password fine.
PPPOE - fine
MTU - 1500
VLAN - disabled

Checked all the docs I'd been sent but no mention of correct setup. Went online online to discover more info and found that PPPOE MTU should perhaps be 1492 not 1500. Also that VLAN should be enabled with VLAN ID 101 (default).

So I am hoping that this may be the solution for my dropouts. My new config is therefore:

VDSL - yes
PPPOE - fine
MTU - 1492
VLAN - enabled
VLAN ID - 101

Will this solve my problems... I'll let you know.

Marksfish

Re: Router Configuration Check

Post by Marksfish » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:03 pm

Mine is:

VDSL
Routed Type: PPOE
MTU - 1500
VLAN - 101

I am surprised it connected with VLAN not selected. Not sure what it does, but have seen people say it causes problems.

Mark

shanerama

Post by shanerama » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:25 am

I am surprised it connected with VLAN not selected. Not sure what it does, but have seen people say it causes problems.
Not exactly sure either but when I saw it wasn't enabled I thought I had found the cause of my problems (repeated dropouts at varying times in the day) but no it is still happening. I have reset the MTU 1500 in the forlorn hope that this might help.... all while I wait for a new router ....

But I do remember in the dim distant past tech people at BT, Plusnet and various others checking through the connection settings with me or even providing written details at the outset... but not so with SSE. So my settings are now....

VDSL - yes
PPPOE - fine
MTU - 1500
VLAN - enabled
VLAN ID - 101

Marksfish

Post by Marksfish » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:20 pm

Whereabouts are you? I have a 2nd SSE router if you are anywhere Sandy in Bedfordshire.

Mark