Speed Test Results - Marksfish (Sandy Exchange)

Existing SSE Broadband customers can post their speed test results in this forum
Marksfish
Re: Speed Test Results - Marksfish (Sandy Exchange)

Post by Marksfish » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:08 pm

Looks like I need to get myself on the ar88 gateway!!

Marksfish

Post by Marksfish » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:12 pm

Managed to get on ar87 and a slight improvement:

deanos

Post by deanos » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:14 pm

how do u swap ?

when openreach came out the disconnected the router, would it reconnect to a different gateway ?

seems better since they came

Marksfish

Post by Marksfish » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:18 pm

Just disconnect and re- connect the PPP session on the router interface. Can only get between ar86 and ar87 :evil:
Last edited by Marksfish on Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deanos

Post by deanos » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:19 pm

could they have moved me there end without me knowing , seems funny its better since Tuesday

lorien

Post by lorien » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:21 pm

eek - multiple posts at once - :) and this one is late compared to the last few posts .... sorry

mark - The name, and subsequent IP address, of the first gateway (hop 2 ) is different - makes sense now
I could therefore assume that we are "effectively" on different pipes - hence the staggering difference in speed at this point in time.
This helps you not, but at least makes some sort of sense :cry:

Looking at deanos, again, we would appear to be on different gateways, but looking at his speedtest results, his is like mine at the moment - capacity to spare so no shaping going on. And deanos. yes, reboot/kill the router and there is a good chance you will change gateways (but not ip address - they appear quite sticky ...)

Mark - I need to have a better looksee at your pathping - at a first glance it looks slightly strange as there appears to be packet loss between your client and your router , and smaller additional loss to the gateway .. weird . I need a beer and will have a look at that later ...

caviat/bs disclaimer : I wish I knew the topology of Daisys network - it would save a lot of guesswork, and would stop me probably producing potential misinformation :shock:
Last edited by lorien on Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marksfish

Post by Marksfish » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:25 pm

I don't appear to be able to get on the ar88 gateway, bouncing back and forth between 86 & 87. If I can find a way to 88, I may be able to have something decent.

Mark

deanos

Post by deanos » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:27 pm

mine was probably just luck, if i could guarantee it would be like this all the time i would stay, just don't trust them anymore

mark did u disconnect you router or anything as you were having good speeds last week

Marksfish

Post by Marksfish » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:29 pm

I didn't disconnect the router physically and the uptime showed as good, but the ppp session could have dropped silently without me knowing. I did have a couple of manual disconnect/ reconnects over the weekend as I put the BTOR faceplate back on, but speeds were good for a couple of days and then when pear shaped. After that, I took the faceplate off again and fitted the filter. Gateways probably changed a couple of times then.

Mark

lorien

Post by lorien » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:39 pm

Sorry if you already stated this mark, but is the link from your device to your router wired or wireless ?
There appears a 9% packet loss for this link. This wont help.

Then there appears an additional 2% from "your" gateway to the destination, which probably wont help with the download speed either (it will be causing retrys), however it's the initial 9% that is troubling me tbh

As a comparison, here is mine (mine is wired btw)
pathping270716.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lorien on Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.