Speed Issues after 8pm in the evening

Existing SSE Broadband customers can post their speed test results in this forum
brandonsbillingham
Re: Speed Issues after 8pm in the evening

Post by brandonsbillingham » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:07 am

fuzed wrote:Thankfully I can leave my contract as an when I decide to, however, we are going to try a fix, as the service when it works is great, and prices are fab as well. If the fix works then great, if not I'll have to move on.
What fix are you trying?

fuzed

Post by fuzed » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:54 pm

I'll update once, and if it get's actioned, need to discuss with SSE to see whether they can do the same for others.

brandonsbillingham

Post by brandonsbillingham » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:49 am

They've offered to buy me a new router but I don't see why this would make a difference.

Trishc22

Post by Trishc22 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:29 pm

I'm in the middle of a complaint after weeks of tests etc. I've told the horrendous manager who called me tonight I will be going to ofcom on weds afternoon. Her call tonight was shocking. I want out and asap!! 20hrs+ to download a 1.5mb file.

fuzed

Post by fuzed » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:49 pm

The management don't seem to understand how bad the actual service is, I've not been told I'm no longer in contract, and I can move, been looking around for another supplier, just making sure their backbone isn't SSE, almost signed up to Vodafone, and they are SSE.

brandonsbillingham

Post by brandonsbillingham » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:01 pm

fuzed wrote:The management don't seem to understand how bad the actual service is, I've not been told I'm no longer in contract, and I can move, been looking around for another supplier, just making sure their backbone isn't SSE, almost signed up to Vodafone, and they are SSE.
SSE don't provide any backbone, they resell a service was Daisy. Vodafone have their own backbone.

fuzed

Post by fuzed » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:29 pm

I'm not sure they do YET, they are rolling out their own network, but I think they are currently using the Daisy communications backbone at the moment. Need to do further checks to find out.

abedegno

Post by abedegno » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi all,

Having switched to SSE from BT having been tempted by their latest round of offers I too am encountering speed issues in the evening, especially with streaming video (OTP) services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Facebook and YouTube.

I've stumbled across this forum whilst trying to research the issues. There appears to be aggressive traffic management in place for these services as can be demonstrated by using fast.com.
- Running speed test using FAST.COM in the evening which utlises netflix's servers I can see around <4Mbit/s
- Obfuscated my traffic using a VPN service and then running the same speed test I can get 60-70Mbit/s
- Running tests of speedtest.net/speedtest.btwholesale.com gives me 60-70Mbit/s around the clock, suggesting there is indeed a white list/traffic prioritisation rules for these services.

I've reported this to SSE, and they have provided me a standard form to complete. I'm assuming SSE can't/won't do anything to improve the issue so I will have to jump through hoops, collecting enough evidence for them to release me from contract without penalty?

Thanks

Jon