Speed Test Results - Maui

Existing SSE Broadband customers can post their speed test results in this forum
lugsy3
Re: Speed Test Results - Maui

Post by lugsy3 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks Doogie , I got my call back today from SSE technical team and they agree there is a problem with my line I should be getting min 42 and max up to 70. They have apparently checked line, some other test I can't remember, changed the channel to another for my router and will monitor it over the next 24 hours. Then if still problem get BT / openreach to sort it apparently , that could take some time but at least they listened and did get back to me, can't fault that.

Marksfish

Post by Marksfish » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:25 pm

I don't believe it is a line problem, there are too many of us that had perfectly good connections prior to joining SSE. They could be able to see the congestion issues and the effect of any throttling they have. They are just doing the ostrich and burying theor heads, rather than providing extra capacity as other providers do :twisted:

Value price fibre, but still expect to be able to use it!!!

Mark

maui

Post by maui » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Speeds have been very good this evening!

Will see how it holds, my case has been escalated to the Customer Services Director
My latest speedtest Results:

maui

Post by maui » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:10 am

Sorry! It's been a while guys - but thought I would post an update to my continued battle with SSE.

To be honest, the SSE CS Manager I am dealing with has already said I could arrange leaving if I wanted, however I want to give plenty of evidence of what Daisy are up to, as he keeps being told by Daisy management that there is no traffic management, and I feel SSE are being fed a line. My latest round of testing last night has proved just that.

All this was last night:

YouTube at 21:05 (<4Mbps)

YouTube at 21:46 (2Mbps)

BT Wholesale speed test at 21:50:

Speedtest.net test at 21:43:

Finally, I have a script running which is pulling 4 x 10Mb files from different locations (Akamai, OVH, My site, Think Broadband) and these are the results:

It's clear here that traffic management is taking place to fight what looks like very bad congestion with deliberate whitelisting of some speed test sites. This has been provided to SSE and awaiting a response.

brandonsbillingham

Post by brandonsbillingham » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:06 pm

Keep up the good work. Someone is lying, either SSE or Daisy.

maui

Post by maui » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:13 pm

Sorry all - been a while!

So after a long debate with their CS manager, Daisy are still telling SSE that they only prioritise P2P traffic, and that my downloads *might* be considered P2P (but could not prove it lol)... Despite providing the graphs above, and also proving as clear as day that they are traffic shaping, they refused to believe it, and said it is down to congestion 'in my area'... Funny how congestion does not impact certain speed testing sites ;)

Alas - they let me terminate my contract without penalty. So I am now back with BT. All in all, whilst it took a bit of work to complain to the point where I left - it's been worth it to get the cash back, along with 2 rounds of BT cash back (thanks to their price rise causing me to head for SSE in the first place):

I was thinking of taking my evidence to Ofcom - but I don't think I will get very far!

abedegno

Post by abedegno » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi,

I've collected similar evidence and have already raised a complaint with ofcom - whilst they won't take up individual cases they do take a note of what is reported to them from the public and use it for industry analysis.

I compared what SSE/Daisy are doing with prioritising speed test traffic to what VW did with their car defeat devices.